St. Mary’s County Public Schools
STUDENT DRESS CODE
Standards for appropriate attire shall include the following:
Clothing and Accessories in General
· Clothing displaying or suggesting profanity; sexual activity through graphic images, words, or innuendos;
weapons; drugs/alcohol or drug paraphernalia; violence; or tobacco products may not be worn.
· Clothing with identifiable gang/crew representation or paraphernalia may not be worn.
· Suggestive or provocative clothing such as see-through clothing or shirts/blouses/dresses with low
necklines which show cleavage may not be worn.
· Official St. Mary's County Public Schools’ athletic uniforms may be allowed at the discretion of the coach.
· Student dress for mixers (informal dances) must be in compliance with the Student Dress Code.
· Hats/Headdresses may only be worn indoors for religious or health reasons.
Shirts and Blouses
· Shirts and blouses should be continuous from the neckline to the waist of the pants/skirt/skort. Shirt
straps should be at least two (2) inches wide over the shoulder or covered by a sweater, jacket, or other
shirt and in any case, strapless shirts/blouses may not be worn. The midriff area (front, back, and sides)
must not be visible at any time even when seated.
· No undergarments should be exposed.
· Shirts having large armholes and neck holes, such as muscle shirts, may not be worn.
Skirts and Dresses
· Skirts, dresses, and spandex skirts should be approximately one (1) inch below the fingertips.
· Dress straps should be at least two (2) inches wide over the shoulder or covered by a sweater, jacket, or
other shirt and in any case, strapless dresses may not be worn.
Pants and Shorts/Skorts
· Pants and shorts/skorts should be secured at waist: no sagging below waist to expose undergarments.
· Tights, stretch pants, leggings, and spandex body suits must be worn with clothing which meet the
· Shorts/skorts should be approximately one inch below the fingertips.
· Pajama pants may not be worn.
· Shoes must be worn that are safe for all activities.
· Elementary school students must wear shoes that are secured behind the ankle.
· Shoes with wheels may not be worn.
· Jewelry, belts, chains, and other accessories that may be used as or look like a weapon or create a
significant disruption may not be worn.
· Studded accessories are not permitted.
It is recognized that age and maturity may be considered in determining the appropriateness of a student’s attire.
Appropriateness will be determined by the school principal/designee.
Any questions related to this dress code should be directed to your child’s school or the St. Mary’s County Public Schools
Department of Student Services at 301-475-5511, Option 2.