Forrest Center School Counseling Information
Forrest Center Counselor - Ms. Diana Kraft
301-475-0242 Ext. 28120
School Counseling Program
The Forrest Center's school counseling program is a data-driven, comprehensive counseling program that systematically addresses the academic, career and personal goals of each student. Through leadership, advocacy and collaboration with staff, parents/guardians and community members, every effort is made to prepare all students to be college/career ready.
Please contact our school counselor or click each of the links below for additional information:
If you would like to become a student at the Forrest Center, please see your high school counselor and follow the steps listed below.
Admission to Two or Three-Year Programs
1. Students complete an application to the Forrest Career and Technology Center selecting a first, second and third choice, as appropriate.
2. Counselors and students verify that all program prerequisites have been met.
3. Students are required to complete an application visit at the Forrest Career and Technology Center and meet with prospective instructors to ensure their interest and understanding of the program’s requirements.
- Students are encouraged to complete their Application Visit at the Forrest Center Tech Expo, generally held in February. See information about the Tech Expo below.
4. Students who cannot attend the Forrest Center Tech Expo must complete their application visit on the day designated for their high school. See high school counselors for these dates.
5. Students may request a Vocational Evaluation from the Forrest Center. This evaluation will provide students with career direction. A vocational evaluation may be especially helpful for students with disabilities or special needs.
6. In the event of over-enrollment, selection will be based upon attendance, grade pointaverage, and discipline history.
7. Students who are selected will receive a letter of notification.
Admissions Process for Electives
1. Students complete a Forrest Center Elective Registration Form.
2. Counselors and students check to make sure prerequisite courses have been met.
4. Students are encouraged to select a second choice in case over-enrollment occurs.
5. In the event of over-enrollment, selection will be based upon attendance, grade point average, and discipline history.
THE FORREST CENTER TECH EXPO
Thursday, January 18, 2018
(Snow date: Thursday, January 25, 2018)
St. Mary's County Libraries at 6:30
Topics include: Options to pay for college, FAFSA (Federal Applications for Student Aid), Local Scholarships
Presented by Nadine Hutto, Director of Financial Aid at St. Mary's College
(Also see Apprenticeship, Leadership and Other opportunities listed below)
Scholarship and Awards will updated as we receive information.
*Check the colleges, universities and technical schools you plan to apply to for scholarship opportunities, as well.
On Tuesday, November 15th, the Dr. James A. Forrest Career and Technology Center will host ‘Military Day’. The purpose of this event is to provide Forrest Center students who have expressed an interest in the military with an opportunity to explore military-related career opportunities. Representatives from each military branch, including ROTC programs and the military academies, have been invited to attend.
Students will be offered the opportunity to participate in this event during their regularly scheduled class time at the Forrest Center. Each class will have a designated time to send interested students from their program to the Dohrman Conference Room to meet with military representatives.
Parents/guardians of Forrest Center students are invited to attend Military Day along with their child. A schedule will be given to students so parents know what time to attend. Parents/guardians may park in the visitor parking area in the Forrest Center parking lot (right side of the building, closest to Leonardtown Middle School). Parents/guardians will also need to sign in at the main office to get a guest pass.
Feel free to contact the Forrest Center at 301-475-0242 if you have additional information.