Benjamin Banneker Elementary is excited to continue the implementation of the Safety Patrol Program, which is sponsored by AAA. The primary purpose of the program is to enhance the safety of our students. In addition, this promotes the development of leadership skills and good citizenship qualities. A safety patrol’s job is to model for students the safety rules that have been taught in the classroom, to assist students in safe transitions throughout the building, and to assist the bus driver with bus passenger safety procedures. Patrols receive instructions in safety guidelines and procedures during their training and regular patrol meetings. Duties of all patrols are listed below.
- Compliment students observed following safety rules
- Remind students of safety rules when appropriate
- Report for duty on time with the proper equipment
- Know and follow all building and bus rules/regulations as a role model to others
- Report to Patrol sponsor, administrators, and staff members assigned
- Attend and participate in all patrol meetings and training
Safety patrols are selected from the fifth grade. Patrols are selected with input from teachers, administrators, bus drivers, and patrol sponsors. Consideration is based on student interest, commitment, responsibility, self-discipline, and attitude toward others. Patrol sponsor Chris Dyson.
A big thank you to our current safety patrols for helping keep our BBES students safe!