The application for the 2021-22 school year may be found here. Applicants are expected to read this document before completing the application. Both the application and document are Google documents so you will need to use Chrome as your web browser.
- In order to park at Chopticon High School, all drivers must have a parking permit.
- In order to acquire a parking permit, each student must complete this parking permit application form and meet eligibility requirements (listed below.)
- Submitting an application does not grant a student a parking privilege; you will receive notification if your application is accepted.
- Communications about school parking applications will be made via the student's school gmail account.
- You are in 12th or 11th grade. While 11th grade students may apply for a parking privilege, only 12th grade applications are being considered at this time. Applications will only be accepted from students in 11th or 12th grade. Once schedules are finalized for seniors, we will re-evaluate if we have any spaces available.
- You have no outstanding school debts. If you were unable to return textbooks or other items for the 2021-22 school year, you are NOT considered to be owing a school debt. You will be expected to return the items at the next opportunity.
- You have a valid Driver's License.
- There are no discipline or academic requirements to be eligible for a permit. However, future discipline or academic problems may result in your permit being suspended or revoked.
By Applying for a parking permit you are agreeing to the following:
- Cost $50.00 If a parking permit is suspended or revoked, the fee is not refundable.
- The parking permit is non-transferable to other students.
- Student cars parked on school premises are subject to search and seizure. SMCPS is not responsible for the vehicle and/or its contents.
- Student drivers must be approved for a permit to drive the first day of school.
- Allowing another student to use or duplicate your permit will result in a $50 fine and loss of parking privilege.
- A student who copies another student's permit or uses a fake permit will be fined $50 and will be ineligible to apply for a parking permit.
- Students who drive to school who are not approved for a permit may be assessed a $20 school fine per incident. Repeat offenders will be referred to the School Resource Officer to receive an official citation and the vehicle may be towed at owner's expense.
- The owner of the vehicle agrees to keep the vehicle insured as to property damage and public liability as required by the laws of the state of Maryland. By accepting the permit as applied for, the owner and operator agrees that when the vehicle is located on the property of the St. Mary’s County Public Schools, the school principal or designee, in accordance with Maryland statute, may search the vehicle and its contents.
Losing your parking privilege:
Your permit may be suspended or revoked at the discretion of Chopticon administration. Loss of a permit for ANY REASON, including a suspension of the permit, will result in a replacement charge of $25.00, payable before the replacement permit is issued. You may go on a waiting list once the suspension is lifted and may not be able to obtain a parking permit for the remainder of the year. Below is a list of reasons you may lose your parking privileges:
- Excessive tardies or absences - lawful or unlawful- including leaving early
- Disciplinary referrals
- Poor academic performance
- Failure to obey the direction of school staff while in or operating a vehicle
- Allowing another student to drive your car on campus
- Going to the parking lot during school hours without a pass from the grade level office or staff member.
- Congregating/loitering in the parking lot
- Unnecessarily blowing horn, music too loud, peeling tires
- Breaking any traffic laws including the 15 MPH speed limit in the parking lot
- Leaving campus without permission before your dismissal time (this includes lunch)
- Failure to display a permit so that it is easily visible to the Safety Officer.
- Other reason determined by Chopticon Administration
By completing this application, you are agreeing to the above information. Saying, “I didn’t know” will not prevent you from losing your parking privilege if you violate this agreement.
SPEED LIMIT ON SCHOOL PROPERTY IS 15 MILES PER HOUR AT ALL TIMES!
Per SMCPS JRHD-R - Student use of motorcycles and mopeds on all school campuses is strictly prohibited.