School Information

Esperanza Middle School
22790 Maple Road, Lexington Park, MD 20653
Phone Number: 301-863-4016
Fax Number: 301-863-4020
Monday - Friday
7:00 AM - 2:30 PM

Accessibility  |  Contact the Webmaster  |  Equal Opportunity

How do I contact a staff member?

You may contact a staff member via email. Staff email addresses are posted on our website. This is the most efficient way to communicate with staff, but it is also fine to leave a message in the main office.

What do I do if my child is absent from school?

The parent(s)/guardian(s) of a student must provide the necessary documentation for absences on the day that the student returns to school. If the necessary documentation is not received by the school within three (3) school days, the absence(s) will be coded unlawful. Absences can be reported in a variety of ways: reporting the absence to either the nurse or attendance secretary; sending a note or email, or using the “Report A Student Absence” link on our school’s website. Appropriate documentation on absence notes should include the child's full name, date of absence, the reason for absence, and parent's signature. The following reasons are deemed lawful absences:

  • death in the immediate family; 
  • student illness, for which the principal may require a physician's certificate;
    court summons;
  • hazardous weather conditions;
  • work if approved or sponsored by the school;
  • observance of a religious holiday;
  • state of emergency;
  • suspension;
  • lack of authorized transportation;
  • and other circumstances which, in the judgment of the principal or designee, constitute a good and sufficient cause for absence from school.

Absences, including absences for any portion of the day, for any reason other than those cited as lawful are presumed to be unlawful and may constitute truancy. 

How do I pay for lunch for my child?

To pay for lunches for your student, you can visit the site and deposit directly into your child’s lunch account or send a check or cash to school for deposit into their lunch account. You may put as much money as you want in their account. Applications for Free/Reduced meals must be completed. Students receive an application on the first day of school. Additional applications are available in the main office or at

Can my child have a cell phone or other electronic devices at school?

According to county policy, students may have electronics (cell phones, I-Pods, laptops, PSP’s, etc.) in school, although they must be off during instructional time unless given permission by a teacher for a specific educational purpose. A phone specifically for student use is located in the main office at no charge to the student if an occasion arises that a student needs to contact a parent or guardian. If electronic devices are brought to school, the school is NOT responsible for investigating their loss and return.

How often and when can I expect grades to be published on HAC?

There are two types of grades issued, Process and Product. Process grades provide evidence that students are learning the material taught such as homework and classwork. Product grades provide evidence of mastery of the content taught such as tests, quizzes, or lab reports. Assignments should be documented in HAC on the date they are assigned. Classes meeting daily should have a minimum of twelve process grades per quarter and six product grades. Classes meeting either A or B days should have a minimum of six process grades and three product grades per quarter. In general, grades should be issued and recorded in HAC within ten days of collection of the work by the teacher. However, projects and extended writing assignments and /or assessments may take longer for grade publication.

What medications can my student transport to school?

NONE. Absolutely no medication is allowed to travel with your child to school. Please bring all medications to the school nurse. No medication, even Tylenol, is allowed to be transported on the bus.

Under what circumstances can my child ride to or from school on a bus other than the one they are assigned?

Students may only ride on buses other than the one they are assigned to in emergency situations. Playdates and sleepovers are not emergencies. Parents must send in a signed request that includes full student name, bus number, and contact information. All bus requests will be approved/denied by the administration.

Can I eat lunch with my child?

Our space is limited in the cafeteria. Therefore, we discourage this and request that special occasions are celebrated outside of school hours.

Can I as a parent/guardian or my child(ren) bring in items like cupcakes or other food to share at lunch?

No. We ask that you please keep any food celebrations limited to your home. We have many students with food allergies and/or parents of other students that want to monitor what their children eat.

What process must I follow if I want to visit one of my child’s classes?

You will need to contact your child’s grade level assistant principal to arrange a classroom visit time that works for the schedule of all involved. Please note that a counselor, assistant principal or the principal will also be in the classroom with the parent to answer any questions that they may have during the visit.

How do you interpret absences as recorded on the report card?

When checking attendance on report cards, please look at the bottom left corner where it states