SMCPS DRESS CODE REMINDER:
St. Mary’s County Public Schools STUDENT DRESS CODE Standards for appropriate attire:
* Clothing displaying or suggesting profanity; sexual activity through graphic images, words, or innuendos; weapons; drugs/alcohol or drug paraphernalia; violence; or tobacco products may not be worn.
* Clothing with identifiable gang/crew representation or paraphernalia may not be worn.
* Suggestive or provocative clothing such as see-through clothing or shirts/blouses/dresses with low necklines which show cleavage may not be worn.
* Official St. Mary's County Public Schools’ athletic uniforms may be allowed at the discretion of the coach.
* Student dress for mixers (informal dances) must be in compliance with the Student Dress Code.
* Hats/Headdresses may only be worn indoors with written notice to the school principal/designee for religious or health reasons.
* Shirts and blouses should be continuous from the neckline to the waist of the pants/skirt/skort. Shirt straps should be at least two (2) inches wide over the shoulder or covered by a sweater, jacket, or other shirt and in any case, strapless shirts/blouses may not be worn. The midriff area (front, back, and sides) must not be visible at any time even when seated.
* No undergarments should be exposed.
* Shirts having large armholes and neck holes, such as muscle shirts, may not be worn.
* Skirts, dresses, and spandex skirts should be approximately one (1) inch below the fingertips.
* Dress straps should be at least two (2) inches wide over the shoulder or covered by a sweater, jacket, or other shirt and in any case, strapless dresses may not be worn.
* Pants and shorts/skorts should be secured at waist: no sagging below waist to expose undergarments.
* Tights, stretch pants, leggings, and spandex body suits must be worn with clothing which meet the skirt/dress directives.
* Shorts/skorts should be approximately one inch below the fingertips.
* Pajama pants may not be worn.
* Shoes must be worn that are safe for all activities.
* Elementary school students must wear shoes that are secured behind the ankle.
* Shoes with wheels may not be worn.
* Jewelry, belts, chains, and other accessories that may be used as or look like a weapon or create a significant disruption may not be worn.
* Studded accessories are not permitted.