|Volunteer Coordinator||Chris Mitchell|
|Box Tops Chair||Carolee Battaglia|
|Copy Center Chair||Debbie Wojtowicz|
|Staff Appreciation||Hadley Ramiah|
|Staff Appreciation||Mindy Denney|
|Membership Chair||Jessica Heck|
|Spirit Night Chair||VACANT|
There are several committees that need chairpersons for the 2019-2020 school year. Please email LMS PTA President, Theresa MacPherson, if you would like more information about a position or would like to volunteer.
Follow the LMS PTA Facebook Page for updates this summer:
LMS PTA Accomplishments:
2018-2019 School Year
- Provided grants to LMS to purchase 3 benches and 2 basketball goals.
- Purchased desserts for LMS Art Show and cupcakes for 8th Grade Dance.
- Purchased snacks and drinks for 6th Grade Movie Night in August.
- Purchased 12 month Brain Pop Subscription for students to use at LMS as well as home.
- Provided grant to LMS to help pay for Spring Musical.
- Purchased Scholastic Subscription for teachers to use in classrooms.
- Purchased agenda books for all students at the start of each school year.
- Paid for movie licensing fee.
- Sponsored 3 dances and provided a safe, fun environment for LMS Students.
- Sponsored Teacher Appreciation events throughout the school year.
- Coordinated volunteers for events at the school throughout the year.
- Ran the copy center for the teachers.
- Coordinated the beautification committee that helped maintain the flower beds in the school courtyard by pulling weeds and replacing mulch.
- Purchased new umbrellas and ponchos for LMS Staff.
- Purchased refrigerator to keep in PTA Closet to keep drinks cold for dances.
- Purchased “Learn to Type” program license for LMS and all students to use at school and home.
- Purchased eBooks for the Media Center.
- Sponsored several cultural arts programs: Anti-Bullying Campaign, Prismatic Magic Laser Light Show, Spinny Johnson (of the Harlem Globetrotters).
- Partnered with LMS to purchase new audio-visual equipment for the auditorium.
- Purchased new logo mats for the school entrance.
- Helped purchase new technology equipment for the classrooms.
- Purchased sports mats for the P.E. Department.
- Purchased playground/sports equipment for each grade level.
How can I stay informed of volunteer opportunities?
- Sign Up - We have a group page on: http://signup.com/go/3pfHX9. This page will be updated as volunteer needs arise. This will allow volunteers to see all upcoming opportunities in one location as well as check on their own time for updates.
Last year LMS PTA started using VolunteerSpot for volunteers to sign up to help at PTA sponsored events. This year VolunteerSpot changed their name to SignUp - SignUp is a website that simplifies the sign up process for both the organizer and the volunteer. It allows the organizer to create an event asking for volunteers to help out or make a donation as well as providing dates, times needed, etc. This allows the volunteer to see exactly what is needed and help as little or as much as they can. One of the greatest features is the ease to change things, if the volunteers plans change, then all they have to do is log on and make the change. Then the organizer is sent an update and the next person who logs on will see that spot is now available. SignUp does not share your email – you don’t even have to create an account to use it.
All volunteers must complete a background check through SMCPS (required by SMCPS not LMS PTA). It will take about 2 weeks to get approved. If you don’t hear anything, you can contact the front office at LMS to check the status. If you are not new to the SMCPS school system and had a child enrolled in school at any SMCPS school in the county last year and were an approved volunteer, then your approval will automatically be updated each year as long as your child(ren) are enrolled in school.
Link to start volunteer background check: http://www.smcps.org/safety-and-security/volunteer-information.
All LMS PTA dances will be held from 7:00-9:00 PM in the LMS Gym and Cafeteria.
The school also hosts 4 other dances throughout the year that are held directly after school and are fundraisers for a specific department within LMS. Those dances are not put on the PTA. If for any reason school is cancelled, then the dance will also be cancelled.
For each dance the PTA hires a DJ with lights, provides security, and sells drinks, pizza, candy and trinkets (glow items, hats, sunglasses, etc). Tickets to the dances (wristbands) are sold the day of the dance in homeroom for $5 or they can be purchased at the door the night of the dance (they do not get a wristband if they pay at the door). Since this is our primary fundraiser, the PTA asks for soda, Gatorade, bottled water and candy donations from parents the week before the dance and then purchases anything that is still needed the day of the dance. In the past the dances have been the PTA's primary fundraiser and we have provided many items for the school such as audio equipment and microphones used in the cafeteria for plays and assemblies, apps and eBooks for the Media Center, agendas for the students and much more.
At the dances, the students hang out more than dance in the gym and cafeteria, but are not allowed anywhere else in the school. They have fun socializing and acting like kids, but of course have to be supervised. The dances are a great way for the kids to have fun in a safe, supervised environment and for them to visit with friends they don't get to see every day. Therefore we MUST have at least 20-25 parent volunteers/chaperones at each dance. If we do not get the volunteers, then we will be forced to cancel the dance. As with any school-sponsored event, all volunteers have to register and be approved with St. Mary’s County Public Schools. Please see the front office for more information on how to register to volunteer with SMCPS.
The LMS PTA runs a copy center for the teachers and staff of LMS. Our Copy Center Coordinator schedules volunteers to make copies several times a week.
Be sure to clip those Box Tops! Our first Box Top Collection contest is starting now and will end on November 16. The prize will be a breakfast party during homeroom. Please place all clipped Box Tops in a plastic baggie labeled with your child's name and homeroom teacher's name. Have your child turn these in to their homeroom teacher.
Our goal for this school year is to collect enough Box Tops to raise $2000.00.
NEW BOX TOPS BONUS APP! There's a new way to earn even more for our school! Download the NEW BOX TOPS BONUS APP. It's free and as easy as 1-2-3. With the new App, you can earn double the Box Tops – all you have to do is download the Box Tops App, then scan your receipt (that has Box Tops on it) and they will automatically be submitted for LMS PTA. Then you can still turn in the actual Box Top therefore earning double rewards for LMS PTA!!!
The LMS PTA Teacher Appreciation Committee sponsors several events each year including a Back to School Lunch in August, a Holiday Tea in December, Teacher Appreciation Week each May, and other events decided on by the committee each year.
More information to come later this summer!