Welcome to the Media web page of Town Creek Elementary!
Media Program & Procedures Overview
Every student participates in a weekly 45 minute Library Media class. During the Library Media instruction time, each grade level Media class has the opportunity to learn a variety of skills. These skills include:
- Learning to use library resources to locate information
- Developing research skills
- Literature appreciation
- Developing technology skill proficiency
- Developing cyber safety practices
During this instruction time, students earn grades based on the five skills listed above. The grade earned is reflected on each student’s report card twice a year for 2nd quarter and 4th quarter.
Media Center Hours
The Media Center is open for student use from 9am – 3:30pm. Students are allowed to visit the Media Center Monday and Friday for book exchange from 9:05 to 9:30 am with their classroom teacher’s permission.
Morning Book Check-out
The details of the daily morning check-out are as follows:
- Students are released to the Media Center between 9:05-9:20 am, with the classroom teacher’s permission.
- In order to be dismissed to the Media Center, students must have a borrowed Media Center book in their hand.
- Students with 2 overdue books on their account must return those books prior to participating in morning check out. Students may return overdue items to the Media Center during the morning check-out time.
- Early morning check-out concludes at 9:30am.
- Students participating in morning check-out are responsible for any work that they may miss during the time they participate in early morning check-out.
Checking out books is an opportunity that every child loves. However, checking out books requires responsibility on the part of every participating student. Once a book is checked out, students may keep the book for one week, before it is due or considered overdue. If a student is not finished reading the book within the original 7-day checkout period, students may renew the book by bringing it in for processing. In order for a student to check out a book from the Media Center there must not be an “overdue” book on their account. Please help your child to be a responsible library patron by encouraging them to keep their book in their backpack when they are not reading it.
Lost and Damaged Books
Occasionally, a book will inadvertently get lost or damaged. In cases of book loss or damage, the book will need to be replaced, so a fee will be assessed for the cost of the book. The Media center will send a sheet of paper with the title and cost of the book home with your child. When paying for a book, please make checks out to Town Creek ES and in the memo section write your child’s’ name and “Lost or Damaged Book”.
In the Media Center, we can always use extra help! Parent volunteers are always welcome in the Media Center to help in the following ways:
- Shelving books
- Pre-Processing books
- Assisting students locate books
- Assisting students use technology
- Assisting students complete library activities
- Assisting with the book fair
In order to be a volunteer in the Media Center, one must complete the volunteer screening and training with St. Mary’s County Public School System. See the SMCPS website (www.smcps.org) for more details.
Suggested Leisure Reading List
|K & 1st||
|2nd & 3rd||
|4th & 5th||
Suggested Literature Websites for Children
|K-2||Max & Ruby||www.rosemarywells.com|
|K-3||Junie B. Jones||www.randomhouse.com/kids/junieb/|
|3-5||Ramona & Henry||www.beverlycleary.com/|
Suggested Typing & Book List Websites for Children
|Grade Level||Topic & Website|
Newbery Award Books