Interest in Virtual is now WAITLIST ONLY.
If you would like to be added to the waitlist please complete this form.
The SMCPS Virtual Academy will offer online courses for grades 3-12. This robust online learning opportunity will utilize multiple online platforms while incorporating high-engagement strategies and synchronous sessions using video conferencing. Teachers will be instructing virtually but will be on-site at the Virtual Academy, which may provide for some in-person opportunities such as tutoring, additional hands-on experiences, or other community-building activities as appropriate during the school year.
- SMCPS Virtual is part of our school system, just like any other physical site. There is no cost for registered SMCPS students.
- Please note that transportation is not provided for this virtual program.
- Students and teachers will continue to have access to social and emotional supports, counseling, sports, performing arts, and clubs at their home school.
- All local, state, and federally required assessments and supports will be given, supported by our SMCPS Testing Site.
- Students who enroll in this program will enroll for the 2021/2022 school year. Additionally, high school students will have the opportunity for a curated path that will allow flexibility to include face-to-face classes at their comprehensive high schools along with attending the James A. Forrest Technology Center as well as be dual enrolled in College of Southern Maryland. As this program is conducted through a virtual learning environment, transportation is not provided for any activities.
- Students enrolling in SMCPS Virtual must reside in St. Mary's County, Maryland, and be a registered SMCPS student. If you need to register your student, please visit Student Registration.
SMCPS VIRTUAL ACADEMY
**Please note** If your student is enrolled in the AoF (Academy of Finance), AVPA (Academy of Visual and Performing Arts, GIS (Global and International Studies), STEM, or CPCS (Chesapeake Public Charter School), you will not be able to attend SMCPS Virtual unless you decided to leave that specific program.
The SMCPS Virtual Academy will provide students and families with a robust, rigorous, technology-driven educational pathway that prepares students for an ever-changing world by providing them opportunities for career and college readiness.
- Provide students with an opportunity to learn in a robust virtual environment
- Create individualized virtual learning plans (IVLP) for each student in order to ensure academic success.
- Offer both synchronous and asynchronous opportunities under the direction of certificated teachers and dedicated success coaches within a flexible learning environment.
- Engage in innovative, collaborative, and best instructional practices for virtual learning to ensure the evolving needs of each individual student are met.
- Promote success through interpersonal and intrapersonal skills designed to create well-rounded critical-thinking global citizens.
- Create critical connections between students through the use of a variety of service activities such as morning meetings and virtual community gatherings.
- Provide enhanced learning opportunities through our learning labs.
- Meet the diverse needs of the unique variety of learners through the use of the individualized virtual learning plan for every student.
- Build strong community partnerships with families.
- Build strong community partnerships with local business and career experts.
The SMCPS Virtual Academy will be located at:
20833 Great Mills Road
Lexington Park, MD 20653
The SMCPS Virtual Academy is open to all students, including students with disabilities who are receiving services through an Individual Education Program (IEP).
Students in grades 3-12 will be issued an SMCPS laptop with the capabilities to support online learning. Technology assistance and troubleshooting will be available through the SMCPS HelpDesk. If a family needs a source of reliable internet they should contact the Office of Assessment and Accountability.
After School Activities, Sports, and Clubs
Students will continue to have access to services at their home school including meals, extra curricular activities, and athletics. Students will reach out to their home schools to get further information. *No transporation is provided.
Attendance will be taken during every class. Students must attend synchronous class sessions and engage in the instruction. Students who are tardy or leave synchronous classes early will not be counted present for the entire class.