The Virtual Academy
NEWS and UPDATES
VISIT our Google Site for BACK TO SCHOOL information.
- SMCPS Virtual is part of our school system, just like any other physical site. There is no cost for registered SMCPS students.
- Please note that transportation is not provided for this virtual program.
- Students and teachers will continue to have access to social and emotional supports, counseling, sports, performing arts, and clubs at their home school.
- All local, state, and federally required assessments and supports will be administered to Virtual students.
- Students who enroll in this program will enroll for the entire 2022-2023 school year. Additionally, high school students will have the opportunity for a curated path that will allow flexibility to include face-to-face classes at their comprehensive high schools along with attending the James A. Forrest Technology Center as well as be dual enrolled in College of Southern Maryland. As this program is conducted through a virtual learning environment, transportation is not provided for any activities.
- **Please note** If your student is enrolled in the AoF (Academy of Finance), AVPA (Academy of Visual and Performing Arts, GIS (Global and International Studies), STEM, or CPCS (Chesapeake Public Charter School), you will not be able to attend SMCPS Virtual unless you decided to leave that specific program.
- Students enrolling in SMCPS Virtual must reside in St. Mary's County, Maryland, and be a registered SMCPS student. If you need to register your student, please visit Student Registration. To apply for school year 2022-2023 you must PRE-REGISTER after March 1st. The application for school year 22'-23' will be open March 14th-April 8th.
SMCPS VIRTUAL ACADEMY
The SMCPS Virtual Academy will provide students and families with a robust, rigorous, technology-driven educational pathway that prepares students for an ever-changing world by providing them opportunities for career and college readiness.
- Provide students with an opportunity to learn in a virtual environment.
- Offer both synchronous and asynchronous opportunities under the direction of certificated teachers and dedicated success coaches within a flexible learning environment.
- Engage in innovative, collaborative, and best instructional practices for virtual learning to ensure the evolving needs of each individual student are met.
- Create critical connections between students through the use of a variety of service activities such as morning meetings and virtual community gatherings.
- Build strong community partnerships with families.
- Build strong community partnerships with local business and career experts.
The SMCPS Virtual Academy is located at:
20833 Great Mills Road
Lexington Park, MD 20653
The SMCPS Virtual Academy is open to all students, including students with disabilities who are receiving services through an Individual Education Program (IEP).
Students in grades 3-12 will be issued an SMCPS laptop with the capabilities to support online learning. Technology assistance and troubleshooting will be available through the SMCPS HelpDesk.
After School Activities, Sports, and Clubs
Students will continue to have access to services at their home school including meals, extra curricular activities, and athletics. Students will reach out to their home schools to get further information. *No transporation is provided.
Attendance will be taken during every class. Students must attend synchronous class sessions and engage in the instruction. Students who are tardy or leave synchronous classes early will not be counted present for the entire class.